Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Strawberries


In our family, one thing that we make whenever there is an impression to be made (fancy dinners, potlucks, etc.) is chocolate covered strawberries. I don't know why, but the Coleman's are famous for bringing chocolate covered strawberries to church events, having them at wedding receptions, and the like. I really don't know why everyone fusses over them so much, they're dirt simple to make. The secret is in using the biggest, juiciest strawberries you can find and bittersweet chocolate. Milk is OK if you must have milk chocolate, otherwise use bittersweet, or dark, chocolate.
To melt the chocolate for dipping, we use microwave-safe bowls.* You put the chunks of chocolate in, microwave for about 30 seconds. Its very important not to over-nuke the chocolate, or it will burn and you will have chunky chocolate (eesh). Stirring the chocolate after each time in the microwave and nuking in small increments will prevent this. Once the chocolate is sufficiently melted, simply dip the strawberries in and place on a foil lined jellyroll pan (make sure the foil is not wrinkled, or you will have trouble when you take the strawberries off). Also important to note is that you can only melt chocolate once and retain the same quality, so you need to work quickly! After a pan is full, place in the fridge to chill until set. Gently remove the strawberries by peeling off the foil. Serve decoratively!

*If you have a double boiler, this is the best way to melt chocolate and keep it melted throughout the dipping process

3 comments:

Shannon said...

During the summer my family and I would eat strawberries dipped in sourcream then brown sugar. It is divine, but I have no idea why we started it.

Keith McKay said...

Sometimes I have a problem with mixing flavors. I know that makes me weird, but for some reason, I like tasting strawberries and nothing BUT strawberries. Same with chocolate. I guess that means I miss out on a lot of great food combos. Everyone I know loves chocolate-dipped strawberries, and yours sound just as good as any I've ever heard of. But I'd just as soon have a big strawberry in one hand and a chunk of chocolate in the other. Again, weird.

bean said...

YOu just got me craving those strawberries :) another thing that is so amazing to try is chocolate covered pretzels. I know that you can buy those FLIPZ or whatever they are called but homemade are so much better...i guess the strawberries have a little more of a healthy spin though