Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Cocido con Leche


Well, the other day, I was craving something warm and delicious (it was freezing cold and snowing). So I thought about making some hot cocoa with toast or some delicious peppermint tea (which is one of my favorite cold-weather beverages). As I rummaged through the cupboards like a bear foraging for honey, I found that we had no hot cocoa and no peppermint tea. I was distraught—how in the world was I going to enjoy liquid heat coursing through my frigid extremities if I didn’t have any “hot drinks?” (did you catch the Word of Wisdom joke?) I suddenly realized that we had milk, sugar, water, and yerba mate (mah-tay)—all the essential ingredients to cocido con leche. It is a traditional Paraguayan drink, often consumed in the morning or when it’s cold. So I got out a pan, burned some of the sugar in the bottom of the pan and tossed in the yerba, toasted it a little too, and finally threw water into the pan. The brown, boiling sugar hissed angrily and began to dissolve and eventually, this green, grassy smelling concoction was boiling merrily. I turned off the stove, strained the brew in a cloth, and added more sugar and milk. My craving was soon to meet its doom. As I slurped the sweet ambrosia I had recently concocted, I felt the warmth return to my toes. Cocido con leche is the best!

5 comments:

Shannon said...

That sounds super delicious. when ever I need a hot drink I mix up some milk, baking chocolate, cocoa powder, some sugar, a cinnamon stick and black pepper. It makes the most wonderful bittersweet hot chocolate.

Alina said...

I actually hate hot chocolate which results in a kind of problem when it comes to winter time and drinking hot chocolate. If I do 'drink' hot chocolate then usually I just eat the mini marshmellows out of it and then hand the mug over to my brother and he finishes it up for me. I have yet to come up with an idea for a warm drink that can warm me up. Maybe I should try your recipe...

BA said...

My problem is getting the hot chocolate the right temperature. I always get it to hot and it burns my tongue and then I can't taste it, or I don't get it hot enough and it is not that satisfying.

Gabriel said...

I might be wrong, but i think my ZL from argentina made that stuff. Well the mate part at least.Hmmmmm I would just like to comment that hot chocolate is by far the least exciting hot drink allowed unto us.

Brittany Perez said...

Do you know who has the best hot chocolate...ever? 7-eleven. Smart Cookie also makes an excellent cocoa.